Sunday, January 5, 2014

On Remembering What Doesn't Matter

  Sometimes I’ll look back on an experience and I’m surprised by what has stayed with me.  For example, from 1st grade I can remember the color of the vowel handout Mrs. Gettman gave us (pink) and the girl who tied with me for most ‘tion’ words discovered (Jessica).

My first day of school.  Granted this was Kindergarten, not first grade.  (Poor Jennie can't go quite yet.)

Another first grade memory was when my best friend Kayley was gone on a trip with her family. 
While classtime was lonely without her (I used to watch her and copy everything she did—if she touched her hair, so did I.  If she folded her arms, I better fold mine.   I was pathetic.), recess was going to be a treat.  Being alone, it was a great opportunity to play Mary Kate and Ashley all by myself.  So out on the “spider” playground piece I sat alone, singing songs from the movie I had just seen.  And you know what?  I was having an amazing time.   I loved being with myself having time to contemplate what life would be visiting a ranch as an Olsen twin. 

How preciously lonely I must have looked from my teacher’s point of view. 

So out came Mrs. Gettman  to rescue me.  She talked to me about how it was okay to make new friends and that I should go play with some of the other kids.  (I distinctly remember feeling confused—wait, I look lonely?  And isn’t some tender music supposed to be playing in the background right now?  It always plays when scenes like this in Arthur come up.  Whatever.  I’ll just let her finish talking to me.)  Once she finished her speech to me, she left and I was left to pick up Mary Kate and Ashley where I left off.  Still, I felt awkward since she had come all that way to talk to me.  I better get up and see the other kids.  Sheepishly, I got up from the spider and walked towards the bigger playground. 

The memory ends there.  Probably because once I got to the other kids I realized how shy I really was and blocked the rest from memory. :)

Isn't that so funny?  I could probably list a hundred other memories from first grade--but all kind of weird ones like that.  And same for my other grades in elementary school.

 For the most part, I don't remember big victories and life changing instances.  I remember the little day-to-day moments with no moral lesson.   All I know is they're sure fun to look back and laugh about :)

And they kind of gives us more reason to enjoy each day's little blessings.  Cuz who knows, you might end up remembering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment