Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Money is so cool

I know, captivating title.


Kennedy is at the awesome age where  we don't have to worry as much about her eating non-food items.  (Obviously we're still careful, but I don't have to freak out if there's money laying around anymore.  Which is nice.) Because of this, we've started to let her play with the jar of spare change we keep.

The other day after her bath we sat on the bed and played with money.  I entertained myself by looking at the pictures and dates on the coins.  I had forgotten how neat they all are!  I think it's so cool that each coin has the face of someone on it--and the amount of effort that goes into making a simple penny.  I love it.  (Also, I had to look up who's faces were on the backs of the silver coins.  Call me pathetic but I couldn't remember.  Thomas Jefferson, FDR, and Washington fyi :)  Anyway, it had been a long time since I've taken the time to appreciate the beauty of simple coins.

Within the mix we had both a New Hampshire and Virginia state quarter.  I wish I looked at all my quarters this carefully!  I love the state quarters.  They're beautiful.  (I need to check with my mom to see if she's still collecting for us.  I bet I get a different set of quarters passed to me out East than she does in Utah.)

Finally, I was struck by how cool it is that money is passed around.  Some of the date on the pennies were from hundreds of years ago!  How many hands have touched those pennies, nickels, dimes?  What were their lives like?  What kind of work did they have to do to earn the money?  Where did they spend it?  I just think it's a cool thing to think about.  We're all sort of linked together through our exchanging of money.  

No comments:

Post a Comment