Sunday, September 15, 2013

So we have a blog.

When I was in 9th grade, I had an English assignment from a teacher (who terrified me).  The assignment was to take ten poems and compare them in a paper.  Easy enough, right?  Because this was a trimester-long project, it conveniently turned into my 10-hour personal progress project for Choice and Accountability as well. Woohoo!  My mom helped me decide on Robert Frost and gave me many questions to think about as I read.  Cheesy as it sounds, I think this project changed my life.  Learning about the poems’ themes and thinking them in relation to my life changed the way I think about the world. Even the hard parts became more beautiful. 
Frost wrote about nature, change, and appreciation of life. One of my favorite Frost poems is called The Pasture.  It goes:
I'm going out to clean the pasture spring;
I'll only stop to rake the leaves away
(And wait to watch the water clear, I may):
I shan't be gone long. -- You come too.

I'm going out to fetch the little calf
That's standing by the mother. It's so young,
It totters when she licks it with her tongue.
I shan't be gone long. -- You come too. 
I think the reason I love it so much is his delight in the little things. Even during the chore of raking leaves away, he finds joy in the life all around him. 
When I love something, I want to share it with others.  Whether it’s a funny thing Derek does or something delicious to eat, it’s better when it can be enjoyed by more than just one.
So that’s one of the main purposes for the blog:  to just share what I love (and what WE love…Derek will get on too and do guest posts) with you all J   
So…ta da!  I have a blog!  Hope you enjoy!
I feel like this post is serious-ish, but hopefully it doesn’t stay like that.  We’ll see!





No comments:

Post a Comment