Monday, August 25, 2014

That one time when I won a dance competition

I know you guys are hoping this post is written by Derek--we all know his amazing dancing ability.  *cue awkward swaying to C'mon Get Higher*

But really.   One time I won a school contemporary dance competition.  Me--Kaylie!! Was I good at dancing?  Heavens, no.  It was just because I'm obsessed with candy.

In my elementary school, we had this thing called the Reflections Program where you could compete in song, art, literature, and so on.  Every year there was a theme (Anything is Possible, Change, Courage, etc.) and students submitted their original work to be judged.  And in my school, no matter how you placed, you were given a huge candy bar for every entry.

So naturally, I decided to compete in every category I had time for.  Art, photography, songwriting, writing, and....dancing.

I vaguely remember taking a dance class when I was about 4 years old but I was too bad at it and never went back. That was the entirety of my dance experience up to this point.  But that candy bar was in sight.  So I talked my mom into filming me.

We drove down to our church building so I could use the stage in the gym.  I didn't have choreographed moves ready, but I did know what soundtrack I would be dancing to:   The Prince of Egypt.

So I turned on the CD and began to dance.  My mom filmed, and then we went home.

The day of the Reflections Assembly we all sat in the gymnasium to enjoy presentations of winners.  One of the cute PTA ladies came over to me and said, "you got first place on your dance."  (I was shocked.  But soon learned I was the only one who entered. . .) "It's ok if we show it to the whole school right?"

Emphatically, and with all the wisdom my elementary school self held, I said no.  No way.  Never.

And thank heavens they didn't show the video.  My life could have been ruined forever.  So thank heavens :)

But I still got the candy bar I wanted :)

And I'm sure you're all curious.  But I think, with the good of future generations in mind, the tape was deleted.







1 comment:

  1. I hate to break it to you, but I know I saw that on a big screen at some point. So I think they did show it at some assembly somewhere.
    But I don't think your life was ruined forever, luckily.

    ReplyDelete