Saturday, November 14, 2015

Pallet Sign

At Jennie's wedding reception she had a pallet sign that I couldn't stop looking at.  I don't know exactly why but I became obsessed with it.  I eventually decided that there was only one thing to be done:  I needed to learn how to make one!  So that's what I did.  


I'm one of those people that loves crafts but they usually turn out poorly.  (like, ever since Kindergarten you could always tell which one was mine. ) The same is true for which seat is mine during dinner.  Just look for the area with the most crumbs. I even try to be clean!  It just happens :)  But I was determined and I knew I wanted it to turn out well.  So thus the pinterest researching and planning began!

I began this process by looking for pallet boards I could break apart for wood.  (I had an awkward experience when I found a pallet board left for the dead against a fence at a playground.  I went to examine the board and realized I was basically staring right toward the kids as they played.  Ummm creeper, right?  Except the creepy one was ME!  (ahhhh!!!)  I went to ask the ladies in charge if they knew anything about the board and they were so unfriendly!   (I can't blame them--I'm glad they were being careful, and what weirdo drives around looking for pallet boards?)  Anyway, now I know what it feels like when people think you're a child predator.  needless to say I also left the pallet board for dead.

I kept looking but visited a neighborhood market and finally got a pallet board!!  Insert Hallelujah chorus!!!!

.... but then decided it wasn't worth it to break apart.  Too many tools needed/once it's apart I would need to cut the wood/etc.  So off to Home Depot I went to buy wood.  


Using my handy dandy measuring tape from nursing school :)

I bought the wood, had it cut the right size, then stained it.  I ended up using Miniwax Special Walnut 224 stain, but it turned out too dark so I sanded some of it to give it the look I wanted.  Looking back Provincial 211 would have been the right stain color.  

Sanding to get the color just right

My little cheerleader

After that I  researched which font I wanted to use.  I know there are stencils you can buy, but I loved the idea of being able to use any font I wanted.  After lots and lots and lots of free font shopping, I  printed the letters then cut them out using a knife.  (This took forever, but I did it to a movie so it wasn't bad.)



Then it was time to use my stencils to paint on the letters!  I had some acrylic paints on hand so I just used those to paint.  I wanted a cream color (and only have red, yellow, blue, white, black), so it took a little bit of playing with to get it right.



I painted and then, ta-da!  I was done!  Finally!  I was so proud, relieved, ahhhh!!  I did it.  I did a craft and I loved it.

I was so happy with how this all turned out!  I got the flowered plate at Goodwill for $2, the bottles and flowers for half off at Hobby Lobby, and then printed a couple wedding pictures off. 


Before shot
After shot
I learned SO much.  To be honest in many ways it maybe wasn't worth the hassle, but the adventure and experience and finished product made it totally worth it!

And I have a new hobby now.  I'm working on some Christmas signs and it's been about a bajillion times easier.  Yay for learning and beautiful things to look at :)


1 comment: