Sunday, September 10, 2017

Mr. Maslow

It felt like in almost every college class I took, we talked about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.  It's finally been long enough that I'm not tired of hearing about it anymore, either!  Today as I cleaned up the kitchen, I was reminded of it.   Stealing from wikipedia, the hierarchy is used "to describe the pattern that human motivations generally move through. The goal of Maslow's Theory is to attain the sixth level of stage: self transcendent needs."



 As I talked about (complained? haha) in the last blog post, the beginning of pregnancy is pretty rough for me.  It's always kind of funny how it feels like I lose all ability to thrive.  I can sit on the couch, sleep, eating is a challenge, moving is a challenge.  It's pathetic. (Also I sooooooo am not as sick as other people are--I think I just milk it.  Kennedy's been a super good sport with it all.  I'm proud of her.  Also thumbs up for Daniel Tigerrrr!)

But, I'm starting to feel better!  In fact, besides being starving through church, I honestly felt 100% normal.  Which is a great feeling.  Which means....I can finally LIVE again!  As I cleaned the kitchen today I had thoughts about ways I wanted to be a better wife and a better person.  When I felt crummy, my thought patterns never went that far.  I was only focused on surviving.  But as my physiological lower needs were met, my thoughts went upward and outward.

We have awesome examples (like the lady spoken about in the Women's Broadcast this last April) who have found ways to look outward even when they don't feel good.  These people blow my mind and totally inspire me.

Anyway, short post, not anything world changing.  But I thought it was interesting enough to write down.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment