Saturday, January 28, 2017

Responsible Things

I'll be honest, sometimes I'm a political yapper, but I don't usually act on what I say, you know?  But, this time I actually did something!  And it was actually so much easier than I expected.

I decided to write a letter to my local representative because of the executive order Trump did banning refugees.  Worthy cause I thought.  

  All you have to do is go to house.gov and then click "find my representative."  Enter your zip code, and then send an email!  That's it!  

I'm feeling pretty passionate about the issue, so if you'd like, here's the letter I wrote.  I wrote it pretty quickly.  So I could have said more.  But I can imagine our representatives are getting enough letters that a shorter one is appreciated.

Mr. Lance, 

First of all, thank you for your service and for representing the people of New Jersey!  What a huge time commitment and sacrifice.  I'm so grateful for people like you.

I am a 24 year old wife and mother and as one of your constituents I wanted to write to tell you that I do not support Trump's executive order to ban Muslim immigration.  America is a country of religious freedom and that executive order is targeting a specific religion--without legitimate cause. (And once we target one religion, it becomes a whole lot easier to target other specific religions.)  

America was settled by immigrants, and the country continues to be blessed as people from all over the world come. All of the Muslim people that I have met are faith-filled, good people who are good and hard working citizens.  There is a major difference between Muslims and Radical Islamic terrorists.  While we are indeed fighting the war on terror, we cannot punish the good families and refugees who are escaping their hostile living circumstances. 

 I am a Christian and I believe that we should do as Christ taught.

 "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." 

What if the refugee's story were OUR story?  How would we want to be treated?  I know that if it were me, I would hope that America would welcome me. I would hope that America could remember the values it was built upon.  I hope that the Statue of Liberty can continue to be a symbol of welcome and hope.

This is an issue that shouldn't be divided between party lines.  I understand that President Trump is a member of your political party.  In fact, he is a member of my political party as well.  However, this is an issue that is more important that parties and politics.  This is the time for people of principle to stand up to President Trump and to do the right thing. 

Please do all you can to fight for religious freedom and overturn this executive order.  The lives of thousands depend on this.

Thank you,

Kaylie Paulson


And that's it!  Do it, and now you can say that you have contacted a representative.  And if you write about this, you could be helping to make a drastically huge difference for so many people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment