Monday, June 30, 2014

AFRICA. Part four.

From my letter to Derek May 14th.

Oh my heavens, I think those might be the cutest kids I have ever seen.  In the younger class we taught today,  they yelled all of their answers so proudly and their teacher (most teachers are male here) was so good with them.  They had this super funny song and dance about where is your nose, where is your eyes, your hips, your bottom bottom bottom bottom.  The teacher’s up there shaking his stuff and the kids are doing it too.  Oh my, so funny



The older classes were fun, too.  I just love seeing how happy these children are and how excited they are to learn.  The highlight of the teaching is doing stop, drop, and roll because I get so dirty. When the kids do it they all just laugh so hard and it’s so great.






We drove back from the school and had a relaxing afternoon.  It rained, so those of us that are still really excited about rain (I think it was just Camille and me yesterday..) ran out and got all soaked.  It’s seriously the best thing ever.  I love being able to see the rain just come pouring in this jungle we live in.  We have a tin roof, too, so it’s just so loud. I love it.  Just so I could say I had done it, I had someone grab us shampoo and conditioner and we washed our hair out there. 




This morning we went to the Presby school to do the anemia clinic.  We had to do an information station where we make sure all is well with who they are, and their number to make it IRB  appropriate, a height/weight station, and a hemoglobin testing one.  I started at the hemoglobin and I was so proud of the kids.  They’re so tough!!  I love doing stuff like that with kids.  I love trying to help them be tough and I dunno, I just think shots and finger pricks are fun to do.  I promise I’m not morbid.  It just feels good when you do it right.  I think my favorite was a boy who got such a big grin on his face after and gave me a high five.  (By the way, we test 4-5 year olds.  So they were little.  So proud of them!!)  Tomorrow we go back and do the same thing.






That's where my letter writing ends.  But Africa is seriously the most amazing place.  The people are incredible.  The kids are ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.  And I think there's a lot we can learn from the way they live and from what a happy and friendly people they are. 

Zoe was awesome and made a summary video of the trip.  She's also the one who first came up with the Mothers Day video. She's the best.  Thanks Zoe :)





No comments:

Post a Comment