Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Getting there

So guess what, we're in Chicago!!  Derek got an financial analyst internship with Honeywell so we drove out last weekend.  It's beautiful here and we have really enjoyed our time so far!

We wanted to take a couple pictures along the way of the journey, so here goes!!

did anybody else see this horrible movie?  well, it's pretty terrible.  but it's about "getting there" so that's pretty fitting.
this is us before we left.  someday our kids will be so excited to see this.  (...or not)

Maybe someday Derek can be part of a Mormon Message about driving across the country with all of his belongings and wife in a tiny vehicle. just like this one!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nczw6xHJ0I
while in Green River, Utah we ate in this lovely and deserted park.  also, the grocery store's bathroom is in a tricky place to find.  between that and the constipation Derek waited for me for about three hours.

I'm obsessed with I-70.  Just look at these mountains.





Right when Derek and I switched and it was my turn to drive, the road started getting really steep.  Like, steep enough that me pressing on the gas all the way couldn't get us in our little packed car past 40mph.  So over to the slow lane I went.   I  also went to a lower gear and still-- so slow!!!  Then it started to rain.  And I was very scared.   Then we switched back.  And made it happily.  Derek is a good driver :)

Intermission:  we got to stay at my mom's sister Becca's house!!  Very fun.  We played night games and watched the national spelling bee finalists go at it.  We also watched the diversity dwindle as all the white kids got out.

We made it to Kansas!!  After passing signs for Toto's Pizza and other Oz-related signs, it felt appropriate to turn switch from our little Harry Potter on CD over to Wicked. 
Yep.  We made it to Kansas. 
This was a fun field to drive by.  Look familiar?  Looks like your desktop.  
Cute, right?
More Kansas lovin.
Intermission:  We stayed at Grandma Rytting's.  Very fun!  Plus, I got some good video game practice in.  Mario Kart is tough, guys.  (but really.  I'm still about double the speed of the worst score)


Janae made us strawberry muffins to take in the morning.  But Spencer and I got a picture so it looks like we did it ;)  
We left Kansas early in the morning and got to see the sunrise!!!
I like to call this masterpiece "Sunrise over Dead Bugs on a Windshield"
Flies, mosquitoes, and gnats.  all gone.
and....WE MADE IT!!!!  here's the view outside our bedroom window.
...on the 15th floor.  I've only climbed those stairs once. 


P.S.  I know you're all wondering.  Derek didn't really wait three hours.

1 comment: